Image Credit: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/a-man-holds-a-jar-of-semen-analysis-close-up-gm1280902907-379086611
Sperm donation clinics offer several advantages over other sources of sperm for individuals and couples seeking to start a family.
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority also known as HEFA has provided a few strict regulations that must be ensured by all clinics. Those who donate sperm at a local clinic also must follow the restrictions imposed by HFEA.
As per the HFEA regulation, if you ever donate your sperm at a certain clinic, then you will:
- Not be the considered as legal parent of the child born from your sperm,
- You will not have any legal responsibility for the child born out of your sperm, and neither your name will appear on the birth certificate of the child born,
- You will have no rights over how the child born out of your sperm will be brought up,
- You will not be required to offer any kind of support for the child financially.
Here are some of the key reasons why you might choose to work with a sperm donation clinic:
1. Access to a wider pool of sperm donors
Sperm donation clinics typically have a large pool of sperm donors to choose from, which gives you more options to find a donor that matches your desired traits, such as ethnicity, physical appearance, and education level.
2. Screening and quality control
Sperm donation clinics subject sperm donors to thorough medical and genetic screening to ensure that they are free of genetic or infectious diseases. This helps to reduce the risk of passing on any health conditions to your child.
Image Credit: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/money-and-container-with-sperm-in-hands-of-man-gm948663716-258992528
3. Confidentiality and privacy
Sperm donation clinics typically maintain strict confidentiality and privacy policies to protect the identities of both sperm donors and recipients. This is important for individuals who want to keep their use of sperm donation confidential.
4. Legal protection
Sperm donation clinics can also provide legal protection for both the sperm donor and the intended parents. They can help ensure that the donor has no future legal rights or responsibilities for the child and that the intended parents have full parental rights.
5. Support and resources
Sperm donation clinics typically provide support and resources for individuals and couples throughout the process of sperm donation and conception. This can include counselling, fertility treatments, and other medical services.
According to the law, regulated clinics in the UK only permit a maximum of ten families to be formed using a single donor’s sperm.
According to HFEA:
- You can donate your sperm to create up to 10 families and can receive maximum compensation of up to £35 for each clinic visit.
- Unregulated sperm donation routes will lead to a single donor may become father of an unlimited number of children in certain geographical area and also charge whatever they want for the donation.
In conclusion, sperm donation clinics offer several advantages over other sources of sperm, including access to a wider pool of sperm donors, thorough screening and quality control, confidentiality and privacy, legal protection, ethics and support and resources.
By choosing to work with a sperm donation clinic, you can increase the chances of successfully starting a family and ensure that your child is born healthy and free of genetic or infectious diseases.